Foreign Medical Program (FMP)

UPDATE: As of October 1, 2017, the Veterans Health Administration Foreign Medical Program will accept medical and pharmacy claims from the Philippines.

The Foreign Medical Program (FMP) is a U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) health care benefits program for U.S. Veterans who are residing or traveling abroad and have VA-rated, service-connected disabilities. The eligibility requirements for medical services are different for Veterans outside the United States than for Veterans living within the United States. The Foreign Medical Program assumes payment responsibility for U.S. Veterans only for a VA-rated service-connected disability, or any disability associated with and held to be aggravating a VA-rated, service-connected disability (38 CFR 17.35). (Veterans living in Canada are under the jurisdiction of FMP; however, inquiries and claims must be directed to the Foreign Countries Operations in Canada. See contact information below.) Additionally, VA may authorize necessary foreign medical services for any condition for a Veteran participating in the VA Vocational Rehabilitation Program (38 U.S.C. 31).

How to Apply  |  Registration  |  Benefits and Claims Information  
Assistance with VA issues  |  FMP Contacts  |  FAQs

How to Apply for FMP

Enrolling in FMP is simple. Send your full name, mailing address, address of residence (including country), U.S. Social Security number and VA claim number to:

VHA Office of Community Care
Foreign Medical Program (FMP)
P.O. Box 469061
Denver, CO 80246-9061

We will confirm your service-connected disabilities and send you a benefits authorization letter, which outlines the medical conditions we cover.

IMPORTANT NOTE: To expedite your FMP registration, a copy of your rating decision that includes the listing and description of all service‑connected disabilities will help determine Veteran eligibility. If you do not have a copy of your rating decision, FMP will request one from your servicing VA Regional Office.

Although Veterans who are permanently relocating to a country under the FMP Office's jurisdiction are encouraged to notify the FMP Office upon establishing a permanent, foreign mailing address, service-connected Veterans who are simply traveling abroad need not bother with notification. However, program information is available upon request.

FMP Registration

Pre-registration for eligible Veterans is not necessary. However, Veterans who are permanently relocating to a country under the FMP Office's jurisdiction are encouraged to notify the FMP Office upon establishing a permanent foreign mailing address (address and telephone number). At that time, arrangements will be made for FMP registration and the mailing of detailed program material. Included in the program material will be an FMP Program Guide which provides detailed information on benefit coverage and limitations, how to select health care providers and claim filing instructions.

Please use the fillable FMP Registration Form, VA Form 10-7959f-1 when registering with FMP. (Fillable PDFs can be completed online, saved, edited and printed.)

FMP Benefits and Claims Information

View FMP Benefits and Claims Information for detailed information about FMP benefits, how to submit claims and for a link to the FMP Claim Cover Sheet, VA Form 10-7959f-2.

 FMP has an updated Claim Cover Sheet dated March 2016  

Assistance with VA Issues

The VHA Office of Community Care (OCC) in Denver, Colorado, administers the Foreign Medical Program and is responsible for all aspects of it, including the Veteran’s registration process, verification of eligibility, authorization of benefits and the processing and payment of FMP claims. All FMP inquiries should be made directly to the VHA Office of Community Care. 

If you are a Veteran living or traveling outside the United States and have questions about other VA benefits, such as compensation and pension exams and disability ratings, you should direct those questions to your servicing VA regional office. Additional benefit information can be viewed at Veterans Benefits Administration Veterans Living Abroad.

NOTE: Your servicing VA regional office is responsible for establishing service-connected disabilities. They are also responsible for administering educational benefits, vocational rehabilitation and other benefit programs. Inquiries related to any of these regional office matters should be directed to your servicing VA regional office. However, if you are living abroad and want to make a new application for any of these non-medical benefits, or have questions about these non-medical benefits, contact the intake center listed in the chart below that corresponds with your country of residence.

FMP Contacts

FMP Office, USA

Any assistance you may need regarding your health care can be obtained by contacting the FMP Program Office, USA. (Veterans living in Canada must contact the Foreign Countries Operations in Canada.)

VHA Office of Community Care
Foreign Medical Program (FMP)
PO Box 469061
Denver, CO 80246-9061

Phone: 303-331-7590
Fax: 303-331-7803 
Email: IRIS

Veterans Living Abroad
(Address to send written correspondence, except medical claims)

Location of Residence:Africa, Asia, Australia, Europe, Federated States of Micronesia, Marshall Islands or Palau

Department of Veterans Affairs
Evidence Intake Center
PO Box 4444
Janesville, WI 53547-4444
Fax toll-free: 248-524-4260

Location of Residence:American Samoa, Canada, the Caribbean, Central America, Guam, Mexico, Northern Mariana Islands, South America, Republic of the Philippines or the U.S. Virgin Islands

Department of Veterans Affairs
Evidence Intake Center
PO Box 4444
Janesville, WI 53547-4444
Fax toll-free: 248-524-4260

Veterans Living in Canada (for medical claim filing)

Foreign Countries Operations (FCO)
2323 Riverside Dr., 2nd Floor
Ottawa, Ontario
Canada, K1A OP5

Toll-free phone: 888‑996‑2242
Fax: 613-991-0305

Change of Address?

If you change your address, it is vital that you let OCC know your new address. You can mail the information to the FMP Office, USA, or call us at 303‑331‑7590. Please help us keep our records up to date!

Frequently Asked Questions

Visit FMP Frequently Asked Questions for more information about the Foreign Medical Program.